Sunday, March 27, 2011

Paints With Knives


This is my 9th painting in my first month as an oil painter. This 8x10 piece was definitely a brand new experience for me. This was my first attempt at making a painting entirely with painting knives! And in fact, I made almost the whole thing with just one knife: a small diamond shaped knife, much like this one.

I based this piece off of another artist's knife painting that I found online, by the name of Rybakow. I thought the composition and the bright colors were just beautiful, and having the image of his painting to work from helped me in learning how to use the knife. I don't know if you can see the thick texture in this picture? It really was fun to work with thick, bright colors, and lay them on in organic shapes like sliding butter on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment