Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bob Ross is the man!


I am on a journey with oil paints. How did this begin? I stumbled upon an episode of the Joy of Painting a few weeks ago and got sucked into watching it. I had watched the occasional episode with my sisters when I was little, and I find that he is still mesmerising! The way he creates a whole world in 30 minutes, all the while talking so softly about each happy little cloud and tree; he makes it look so easy!

For the first time, I started to look past his soothing voice and tried to understand just how he made that painting come together. A knife for painting? Where can I get one of those? How can I learn? I decided I wanted to get back into painting. (I made 4 or 5 acrylic paintings over 5 years ago.)

About two weeks later, I was roaming through Michaels, looking for a new craft project (and not thinking about painting at all), when I saw a Bob Ross painting kit! They make kits?! After convincing myself to give it a try, I came back the next day and bought one. And as they say, the rest is history. In the last three weeks, I have made 6 oil paintings and I am itching to do more.

It turns out that painting is just the hobby I needed, and Bob Ross is the teacher to get me started. I will try to use this blog as a spot to post pictures of my work and share my latest adventures. Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment